Temporary Residence

Temporary Resident Visa / Electronic Travel Authorization

Most travellers need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada – not both. If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you need to apply for a visitor record.

Super Visa

A super visa is for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents. It is a 10-year visa allowing the holder to visit for up to 5 years at a time. A great way to reunite families while the parents and grandparents wait for their chance to be invited to apply for permanent residence.

Study Permit

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada if their study program is more than 6 months in duration. You should always include a study plan especially if you are a mature applicant. It is an opportunity to properly explain why you want to study in Canada.

Working Holiday Visa

This is a popular program among youths of a partner country. You may be able to apply to one or more categories to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years. One of these categories is the work holiday visa.

Post Graduation Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a type of open work permit that can be obtained after graduating. With a PGWP, international students can work for any employer, including self-employment, after completing their studies in Canada. The duration of the PGWP varies from 8 months to 3 years, depending on the length of the student’s study program in Canada. To be eligible for a PGWP, you must have graduated from a recognized program at a public or private institution, including universities and colleges.

Employer-based Work Permit

Applying for a Canadian work visa requires obtaining a job offer from a Canadian company, and this Canadian company must first apply for the LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) qualification from the Canadian Department of Employment and Social Development (ESDC). Once the LMIA qualification for hiring foreign employees is approved, the applicant can apply for a work visa at the local Canadian consulate. This type of work visa is employer-specific, and the holder must work at the designated workplace for the designated employer. Not all jobs require an LMIA application.

Spousal Open Work Permit

The Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) is a visa designed by the Canadian immigration authorities specifically for the primary applicants who hold a valid study permit or work permit and their spouses. This visa falls under the category of open work permits, which means it does not require a job offer from any employer or a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) permit. Holders of this permit can work for any employer during its validity period, engage in self-employment under certain conditions, or legally stay in Canada without working.

Permanent Residence

Spousal Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents can sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner in Canada. If you’re spouse or common-law partner in Canada, you can apply for an open work permit as well.

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

The parents and grandparents sponsorship programs have specific application periods each year, typically in January. Applicants (i.e., children or grandchildren) are required to make a commitment and provide evidence that they have the capability and willingness to take care of their parents or grandparents, ensuring they can meet the basic daily needs of the sponsored individuals and avoid their reliance on social assistance provided by government welfare agencies.

Express Entry

Canadian skilled immigration is primarily done through the Express Entry system. To apply for immigration to Canada through Express Entry, you must first receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residency from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The Express Entry system for Canadian skilled immigration consists of three main categories: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class. For individuals who are young, have limited assets, lack Canadian citizen relatives, and have high English language proficiency, immigrating to Canada through the skilled immigration pathway is a viable option. Canada’s immigration system uses a points-based system that evaluates and selects applicants based on their occupation and language proficiency. Factors such as age, education, official language abilities, work experience for both the primary applicant and accompanying family members, and whether their skills are transferable, all influence the scoring and ranking process.

British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program

This program is designed to assist employers in hiring skilled or specialized talent from overseas, contributing to the growth of local businesses and the economy. Additionally, the Provincial Nominee Program for technology-related immigration stream eliminates the need for a work permit, allowing applicants to immigrate directly to Canada.

Start-Up Visa

The Federal Government’s Entrepreneur Fast-Track Immigration Program, known as the Start-Up Visa, is Canada’s immigration program for aspiring entrepreneurs. With a viable business plan, you can obtain permanent residency. This program is particularly suitable for individuals involved in high-tech industries. One of the key advantages of Start-up Visa is the direct path to permanent residency. Unlike traditional immigration programs, there is no need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or a work permit in advance. To qualify, you need a high school diploma or equivalent, proficiency in English or French at CLB level 5, a clean criminal record, a successful medical examination, innovative business idea.

Permanent Residence Pathways for Hong Kong Residents

Open Work Permit for Hong Kong Residents

The Canadian government announced on February 6, 2023, an extension of the Open Work Permit (OWP) special immigration program, expanding it to include individuals who have completed their studies within the past 10 years, and extending the availability of the open work permit program until February 7, 2025. The first phase of the Hong Kong Lifesaver program primarily offers OWP open work permits to Hong Kong residents who graduated within the past 10 years and have obtained a Canadian diploma, degree, or equivalent foreign credential. The maximum duration is three years.

Stream A: In-Canada Graduate

Applicants in Stream A must graduate from a Canadian recognized college within three years and have completed 50% of their courses in Canada. They can submit their application once they meet the language proficiency requirements. However, please note that you must allow time to meet the conditions and submit your application before the temporary policy expires on August 31, 2026.

Stream B: Canadian Work Experience

Applicants in Stream B must acquire one year of work experience within three years, have graduated within the past five years, and obtained a Canadian or equivalent foreign diploma, diploma, or degree. They can submit their application once they meet the language proficiency requirements. However, please note that you must allow time to meet the conditions and submit your application before the temporary policy expires on August 31, 2026.

Permanent Resident Card

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card is an official document issued by the Canadian government as proof of permanent resident status. It typically has a validity period of five years and is similar to the United States’ Green Card. As a permanent resident with a Canadian Maple Leaf Card, you are free to live in Canada. However, you must spend at least two years living in Canada within a five-year period to maintain your permanent resident status. There are exceptions, of course: if your spouse, partner, or parents also live abroad with Canadian citizenship, that overseas time may be counted; if your Canadian employer requires you to work overseas, that time can also be counted.

Canadian Citizenship

Canadian Citizenship

After being a permanent resident (PR) for at least three out of the five years following your arrival in Canada, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. This grants you the right to vote and run for public office, as well as the privilege of holding a Canadian passport and receiving protection from Canadian consulates abroad.